Each year, Monterey County 4-H Leaders Council awards up to $4,000 in scholarship of up to $1,000 each.
- Must be a Monterey County 4-H Member graduating senior or not yet 19 years of age as of December 31st of the current 4-H program year. Must be in good standing with their club.
- Must have a 2.0 or above grade point average.
- Must plan to study in his/her chosen field at a college/vocational school of applicant's choice.
- Must have a minimum of five (5) years of enrollment in 4-H and currently be enrolled in 4-H.
- Must have participated in Community Service, Leadership and Citizenship (4-H, school, community or other) that can be identified in their Record Book.
- May only be awarded the scholarship once.
- Monterey County 4-H Scholarship Application page.
- Completed current year's record book - including, but not limited to, 4-H Story and Personal Development Report, completed Project Report Forms, Jr/Teen Leader Report (if applicable) Market report (if applicable)photographs, and all appropriate signatures. Also include Previous Year’s Records as defined by the state record book manual (2015) and list each year’s events attended OR, you can use the former method known as the “Summary of Years”
- Two to five pages - typed, 12 font, double-spaced essay written by applicant (see Application for further details).
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (mandatory to use form attached to Scholarship application.)
- One from a 4-H Adult Volunteer. (Not a relative)
- One from a teacher, counselor, or other person in the community (Not a relative)
- A transcript of high school grades.
INTERVIEW PROCESS INCLUDES
- A mandatory interview by Scholarship Selection committee.
Interviews will be approximately 15 minutes. Contact the county offices for interview dates.
The primary criteria for this scholarship are levels of 4-H participation at club and county. Scholarship Selection Committee will consider the following:
Application, Essay, and Record Book
- Leadership, Citizenship and Community Service exhibited within the 4-H Program.
- Achievements within 4-H school, community and other.
- Level of 4-H participation (project, club, county, region and state).
- Ability to formulate a clear answer.
- Attitude (manner) towards questions asked.
- Enthusiasm, knowledgeable and well-rounded
- Neatness of appearance. Wear interview-appropriate attire.
When are Scholarships Awarded?
After verification of full time enrollment in college or vocational school is turned in to the 4-H Office, scholarship will be paid directly to recipient. Scholarships will not be held beyond one school year of the date awarded.