Mar 10, 2017 | View All Issues
March 20, 2017
Hello 4-H community,
4-H California Focus is a unique citizenship educational experience for 4-H youth ages 14-19 that is held as a conference near and at the California State Capitol. Registration is now open through April 3rd, 2017.
The 4-H delegates will witness California’s government in action by participating in the legislative, political, and judicial processes much like a Washington DC trip. 4-H members from around the state come together at California Focus June 16-20th. Adult chaperones take an active role in ensuring their success.
Goals of the conference include helping 4-H members learn:
- How the California state laws affect individuals and businesses in a county
- The election process: register to vote, conduct a primary election, and develop a political campaign through a two party system.
- Analyze the needs and issues of your district and enact legislation for the "governor" to sign into law.
- Create a plan of action for your community to make an impact
- Meet California law makers
- Tour the State Capitol, Governor's office and 3rd District Court of Appeals
- Participate in fun activities, tours and cultural events
This conference is designed for the 4-H youth member who is interested in understanding how to be active in a community, how to bring about positive change and how to be active in leadership. Monterey County sent 2 delegates last year from King City Blue Ribbon who were inspired and impressed with the conference!
The 4-H staff can provide delegate and parent support through pre-conference planning, transportation, lodging, the
Download (864KB PDF)