Climate Smart Agriculture
What is Climate Smart Agriculture?
Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) addresses the risks that climate change poses to agriculture.
It encompasses management practices that:
- Increase soil carbon
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Improve water use efficiency
The California Department of Food and Agriculture's (CDFA) climate smart agriculture programs provide funding to growers to help them implement practices that build resiliency to climate change and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Funding Opportunity for Growers and Ranchers!
CDFA’s Healthy Soils Program (HSP): https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/oefi/healthysoils/incentivesprogram.html
Apply for up to $100,000 for soil management practices that improve soil health and sequester carbon. What you will need to apply:
- A list of practices you wish to apply for, examples include cover crop, compost, hedgerow planting and mulch application.
- Information regarding the last three years of crop history and management practices. No documentation required just a written statement.
Workshop details: CDFA hosted online workshop on Thursday 11/18/2021 from 9-11am. The workshop agenda can be viewed here: https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/oefi/healthysoils/docs/2021_HSP_Incentives_Workshop_Agenda.pdf
Sign up for upcoming workshop here: https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_p6Kxg55GTbSdXU5ddpsNGw
CDFA’s State Water Efficiency and Enhancement Program (SWEEP): https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/oefi/sweep/
Apply for up to $200,000 for irrigation management practices that reduce water and greenhouse gas emission. What you will need to apply:
- Pump efficiency test within the last year for all pumps that will be included in the project. The information you will need on the pump test is overall pumping efficiency percentage, horsepower, discharge pressure and pumping depth.
- 12 consecutive months of utility bills, actual fuel receipts and/or field operational logs.
- If applying for a solar project, you are required to get a quote from the solar company. All other projects are not required to have quotes, but it is highly recommended.
Workshop details: CDFA hosted online workshop on Monday 11/15/2021 from 1-3pm.
Sign up for upcoming workshop here: https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_vIYKUkfOQbeUSsJ3ycVxpw
For FREE technical assistance please contact:
Valerie Perez, firstname.lastname@example.org or (831) 595-8545